Today is a big day because for the first time in our married career of 4 years one of us has a "real" job. "Real" meaning it's full-time, it has something to do with one of our degrees, has benefits, a salary, and you have a place that you show up to work.
Here is the point in this blogpost where I say a special thank you to God for all of the ways he has provided for us. Ya'll. It is insane how God has taken care of us these past 4 years. God taking care of us is really the only explanation I can give for how we survived. We call it magic moneys. Somehow we always had exactly what we needed, gave more than we thought we had, never went into debt, and always felt like we were "loaded." If I ever write a book on my faith journey this will definitely be one of the major headings, "God's Provision." God never ceases to amaze me.
Ok...Bear or Bare (ferocious animal or nakedness?) with me as I summarize the adventure that is the past 4 years: (sorry if you get bored. this is for my records. may my verb tense changes keep you on your toes.)
Summer '08- [preface: we were very blessed to enter into our marriage without any debt] We get hitched in May after I graduate. Corey interns @ an engineering firm, I nannied for the first and last time ever.
Fall '08- by the grace of God I land a part-time teaching job in Fayetteville 3 days before school started in August. (add that onto the stress of your first year of teaching- HA!) Corey finishes his last semester of undergrad (we pay for his school somehow... then miraculously receive financial aid in december that reimbursed us- thank you God!)
Spring '09- Corey is done with school and works approximately 1,000 odd jobs including: chain saw gang after the ice storm, running a paper route, mowing yards, driving Miss Daisy (a.k.a. Mark Danner who broke his neck and his job required him to drive all over the place so he hired Corey to drive him.), working here and there for a self-employed engineer: writing reports, repelling from towers, climbing on roofs, and braving a 100 year old aqueduct under the city of Eureka Springs. We also house sat more than we lived in our apartment. no joke. we could have turned off our utilities. I finished up my part time teaching job and quit at the end of the year (going on faith that this was what the Lord was leading me to do) right as the job was about to turn into a full-time teaching job. (sigh)
the ice storm. note: the paper route doesn't stop for the weather.
Corey's moto has always been, "work really hard whether or not you are getting paid." I admire his work ethic and full trust in the Lord. (Thank you God for blessing me with Corey as a husband!)Summer '09- We raised support to go to North Africa in the Fall. (Raising support is a full-time job if you've never done it before). Corey continued odd jobs (minus the paper route which did not turn a profit). I still received 2 teaching pay checks for the summer. We house sat a ton and enjoyed one of the best summers of our lives. Not sure how we staid alive, but it was really fun.
Fall '09- We lived on support on another continent doing missions training. (We hope that sometime in the future we will be involved in overseas missions in some capacity.) When we returned I did a few art gigs and started the photography business.
us in Africa:
Spring '10- (these next 2 seasons are a complete mystery to me.) I know that we house sat for months on end. Corey had to of been doing odd jobs. I did photography, but I know now that at the end of the year I spent every penny (as I earned it) on equipment. I interviewed for another part-time teaching job in April and I was offered the job!! Corey decided to start Grad school in the pursuit of getting his P.E. (Professional Engineers License) Corey applied for Grad school for the Fall of '10 and was accepted.
a couple of our biggest clients:
Summer '10- We photographed a ton of weddings and had a lot of fun doing it. We house sat so much that we almost made business cards. At one point we were taking care of 5 homes in one weekend. It was CrAzY. Also one of the best summers of our lives.
Lucky for us, most of our friends were unemployed (or something like that) this summer as well.
We attempted living off the land for a little while... this zucchini fed multiple families at our apartment.
Fall '10- Corey started Grad school on faith that this was what the Lord was calling him to do. We had no clue how we would pay for it. 2 days into Grad school we found out that he received an Assistantship! His tuition was waived ANNNNDDDD he was going to be paid a little (enough) every month for us to survive!!! We both cried and felt affirmed and secure in the Lord's provision. I started my new teaching job and did a LOT of photography.
photo by Robyn Cloud of Storytime Productions
Spring '11- Corey still in Grad school still on the assistantship. I was still teaching part time and taking pictures. It got to the point that I was taking so many pictures that I decided it was too much to teach and take pictures, so I decided to quit my part time teaching job again. The very next weekend we learned that I was pregnant!!!!! Woo-hoo!!! How beautifully that worked out. I could be a stay at home mom and still do photography.
me in the classroom
Summer '11- Corey still doing Grad school. We took millions of photos at weddings all over the state and even one wedding in California!
we played in California after the wedding
Fall '11- Corey was still in Grad school. I was still taking pictures, but not as many b/c I was growing a wee-babe. (Jack was born in early december.) We begin living off of "savings."Spring '12- Corey's in the home-stretch of Grad school. We booked a bajillion weddings for May. Corey searches, interviews, and is OFFERED AN ENGINEERING JOB IN BENTONVILLE!!!!! Corey defends his thesis as of yesterday (it stands)....
Which brings us to now. Corey's first day of work. :)
Conclusion: the Lord will provide. we may no longer have a reason to live our lives in terms of semesters.









Amazing! But, I miss the summer of 2010. Sweet times!
ReplyDelete