To people with small children, especially those with 3+ kiddos (you are out numbered): I have a whole new respect for you. There is a lot of "figuring out" to do when you are a new parent. It takes a lot of patience, creativity, fast-on-your-feet-thinking, problem solving skills, and determination. This past weekend we took our first trip down to Cabot as a party of 3. I have never had so much anxiety over a trip to Cabot. We used to throw a few clothes in a suitcase, pack our toiletry bag, and maybe bring a pillow. I could not believe how much STUFF we took on this trip. OMGee. It looked like we were going camping or on a trip that would last at least 2 weeks to warrant all of the crap we were taking. We tried to look everything over and see if there was anything we could live without and eliminate it from the pile, but somehow we needed all of this stuff to survive a 2 night stay. There was barely room for Jack in the backseat. I was a little overwhelmed.
After packing for 2 hours and then taking multiple trips out to the car to get everything loaded up, we managed to feed Jack and finally hit the road. We pulled through the drive-thru at chic-fil-a on the way out of town. (so far so good...) The truck in front of us in the drive-thru was decked out with a sweet road bike and a pop-up camper that was covered in adventurous-type stickers. Corey and I began to speculate about what awesome trip they must be on. (The people behind us probably wondered the same thing seeing all our luggage and what-not.) We wondered if these people in front of us were on their way home, or if they were just getting started, or passing through. Were they rock climbing? camping? obviously biking. Clearly, they were living the dream.
Corey and I used to be real adventurous in our dating days. We dabbled in mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, camping, canoeing, cycling, rock climbing, snow skiing... you name it. It was a blast. We used to dream about getting a small camper of sorts and road tripping all over the U.S. of A. doing awesome things someday.
Let's relive some of our glory days:
I asked Corey if he thought we would ever be adventurous like that again. He said, "mmm... probably not." I told him to hang on to hope. Our glory day in the sun would come again. I got to pondering on the new adventure we are on now. :) It may not appear glamorous or very extreme sport-ish at all, but DUDE in so many ways it is. We are having to learn and try so many new things on so very little sleep. It is extreme. There are so many parents with young kiddos out there... how have you been making this look so easy??
Don't get me wrong though- I'm so loving it. I am thriving with all of the new challenges. Rejoicing in the small victories. I find it all very amusing. : )
This weekend really empowered me. I was in fear that it would wipe us out, disrupt Jack's wanna-be schedule, and cause a hiccup in my recovery.
In reality, it went SO WELL! Praise God!
People, we are going places! Grocery shopping really doesn't seem that daunting anymore...
I would now like to make a list of celebratories from this trip:
-we left on a Saturday. chic-fil-a was open! (off to a great start)
-Jack loves riding in the car and teleported (slept) on the way to Cabot.
-we went parking. oh yea! In a deserted church parking lot at night... in order to feed Jack. :) (never realized this was something people with infants had to do. often. ... where are all of you guys parking?? There should be people pulled over everywhere.)
-We managed to make the trip in a little over 4 hours. (It used to take 3!)
-We got to spend great quality time with family and meet our new nephew- Benjamin! (Jack's cousin)
-Benjamin is awesome. I almost cried holding him. He is precious.
-I got to take Benjamin's newborn photos... 2nd photoshoot since little Jack was born. I'm getting back in the game.
-Jack maintained his pattern of awake-time during the day and sleeping at night.
-Janet made the cream cheese cake. :)
-We got to meet the newest addition to the Burk family... Pete!
-JACK WENT 6 HOURS BETWEEN FEEDINGS ON THE 2ND NIGHT. PRAISE JESUS!
-I became breast friends with my $300 pump this weekend. GLORY. It was worth every penny.
-There is no better way to learn something than on-the-job training: I attempted new, dangerous, convenient things like pumping in the car while driving down the interstate. (Don't be afraid- Corey was the one driving.)
-AND biggest victory of them all: JACK TOOK 2 BOTTLES during our travels!!!!!!!! Do you know what this means?? I have freedom! freedom. Freedom to go on a photoshoot, freedom to go on a date with Corey, freedom to sit in the room with other people (that I don't want to flash) while Jack is eating. This is good news my friends. There were days I thought I would never be able to go anywhere ever again. Those days are over.
We are doing this! (high-five success!)
To some (those without children) these things may not seem like much to get excited about. To others (those with children or once had small children) I know you are celebrating with me and maybe laughing when you remember times like this that you had.
Hooray for a successful adventurous trip full of small victories!
I feel so alive. Ha!











These are all great things! And I'm sure when I have a kid of my own, I'll realize just how GREAT they *really* are. Glad y'all are doing well! :)
ReplyDelete