Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

4 Under 4

I need to write this stuff down.  Some day they will be grown up and I will forget how hard this was... maybe :).

I'm not sure I have ever done anything this difficult.
I think I felt this kind of stress during finals week.
I have felt this deliriously sleep deprived during pledge week.
I also felt this frazzled the 1st week of being a counselor in the youngest cabin at camp.
Combine all the things.

Every time you introduce a child to your home there is an adjustment period.  0-1 was the hardest I thought, until we went from 3-4 within a month and a half of having #3. 

Note:

It is not the child (#4) himself that makes this difficult.  He is a sweet little boy.  He is everything I would expect of a 2 year old boy... busy, energetic, curious.  It's just the sheer # of kids and the fact that the oldest is only 3.  Oh, and the fact that one is only 7 weeks old and still nursing every 2-2.5 hours.  This is also only day 4, so I'm going to start figuring things out... right??

Stories from week 1:

The Schedule 
I spent nap time on day 4 making a daily schedule.  I'm hoping it will provide me with some much needed sanity.  We are fortunate that the weather is so nice right now, because my current solution is to open the back door and usher everyone outside.  It's not sustainable though.  It is bound to rain at some point and then we will have the gloomy cold winter months... and the spring months where our backyard is a bog.  I implemented the schedule for 4 hours this afternoon.  Let's share a snapshot from hour 3:

I scheduled 30 minutes of dinner prep where I planned to have the kids watch a show.  I set up our oversized chair and the pacnplay in front of our "TV" (computer).  I turn on Daniel Tiger and check the time... 23 minutes.  I got this!  Before I can run to the kitchen to start spaghetti I smell a poopy diaper.  Charlotte.  I run to find diapers and wipes (now located at 4 different stations around the house.)  I change her quickly and plop her back on the couch.  Ryan is already crying b/c tv only interests him for 30 seconds, hence the pac n play.  I run back to the kitchen where Burk begins to cry in his swing as I crack the fridge to start dinner.  Crap.  It's 5:00 and it's been 2 hours... so yeah, he's hungry again.  He nurses longer than 23 minutes... So.  I dump ground beef in a skillet and fill up a pot of water and crank everything up.  Then I proceed to nurse Burk standing up whilst occasionally stirring the meat. I ask siri to please text Corey, "God's speed."

A Morning with just Ryan and Burk:
WeeCare is my saving grace right now.  This morning J & C went to school.  In the meantime it's me and the 2 youngest holding down the fort.  This is the first time it has just been me and Ryan, and also might be the reason it's the first time we've been inside the house for more than 30 minutes.  Let's play out the 1st 30 minutes after everyone else leaves for school/work:  (I begin attempting to unload the dishwasher.)  I look back at Ryan and he is sipping my green tea out of a mason jar.  I redirect him to his sippee cup and push my jar all the way back on the counter.  I hear the sound of water splashing on the tile.  He is pushing the dispenser on the fridge and soaking himself and the floor.  I block the fridge with my body and hold down the "lock" key for 3 seconds.  I take him into the den and show him a toy car and truck.  I return to the dishwasher and unload a few more things.  He comes back and shuts the dishwasher.  I tell him it's not a toy and show him back to the den and get out the tote of super hero things.  I unload a few more things.  Then I hear the grating sound of our fireplace screen, I dash into the living room and explain that the fireplace can be hot sometimes and it is also not a toy. I get down a train set and build the track.  I show him how to drive the trains and then return to the dishwasher when he seems to be entertained.  top shelf complete.  Ryan returns to kitchen and asks for a snack.  Because he only took 2 bites of breakfast.  I explain that if he had eaten breakfast he would not be hungry so soon.  I say that snack time is in an hour and continue unloading.  He shuts dishwasher again and starts pushing all the buttons.  I explain it is not a toy and where toys can be found.  He proceeds to open cabinet doors and attempts to yank open the oven.  I explain these are also no-no's.  Burk starts to cry, it's time to feed him again, so I give up and we head outside so that I can feed him and keep Ryan safe.  Mercy!

Scaring Corey
On one particular morning I showed up in the kitchen stark naked and handed Corey the baby.  Because Burk, without fail, wakes up (crying) the minute I turn on the water to shower.... and we do not need him waking up the whole household at 6:00am.

Scaring Solicitors 
During nap time I notice to my horror that some man with a bicycle is proceeding toward our front porch, possibly with intentions of ringing the doorbell.  I hurdled our coffee table and rapped on the window as loudly and softly as I could and pointed my finger at him with a crazed look and said, "DO. NOT. RING. THE. DOORBELL."  (I think I frightened him.)  We stood their looking at each other through the window.  I said, "What do you want?"  He pointed to a business card.  I said, "What is that?"  He gives his business mission statement.  I said, "Great.  You can just leave that on the step.  thanks." (I wave good bye.)

Joy Rides
On our first full day we had done more activities before 10am that Jack and Charlotte and I were use to doing in one whole day.  I needed a moments peace and needed everyone contained.  I try to think up an errand that doesn't involve getting out of the car.  Need to go to the bank.  Perfect.  I load everyone up.  I think up the farthest bank in town and what route will take the longest to get there.  And I play our favorite song and we cruise with the windows down.  Ahhhhhh... so refreshing!

Charlotte = Pig Pen
We laugh at how messy Charlotte can be.  It doesn't phase her at all.  Case in point:

Wednesday 3:45pm I change her diaper. 4:00pm we arrive at park with a wagon full of sand toys to play in sand the volleyball court.  5:00 we arrive back home: play in backyard, watch 1 curious George, eat dinner, and at 6:40 run 1 20-minute errand. 7:00pm we pull into the garage.  Charlotte is asleep.  I tell Corey to just lay her down in her bed for the night.  I added, "change her into some PJ bottoms."  Fast forward to Thursday morning 8:45am.  I finally get around to changing her diaper and it is FULL.  Very Full.  Of pee and SAND!  I die.  (Face palm).  Life as the middle child.  I take her straight to the tub.  We did a pre-rinse first and then after washing her hair (which I now recall Ryan dumping a shovel full of sand on her head yesterday) I had to drain the tub and refill it!  (Mom of the year award!).  I let her play/soak for an hour to try to compensate.




No comments:

Post a Comment